Key escrow in the UK

Ricardo Andere de Mello gandhi at quilombodigital.org
Fri Jul 29 17:42:21 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm brazilian, and we felt very sad here because of the recent uk police
killing the brazilian guy. I'm a little worried because a very close
friend is going next week to work in London (fashion market), and I know
there is this "terrorist atmosphere in London", and since she dont speak
english very well, I think she can have problems just for being a foreigner.

I going to talk now about another topic but you will later notice that
it is related to this topic.
Spams are some of the more annoying things in the world. I really hate
them. What is the only reason they still exist? I'm asking this because
if we use the technology we have, we can really stop spams. The reason
is that the only effective way to stop spam would break de anonymity of
the email. See, the Internet has grow with anonymity as a foundation and
breaking this foundation would take us to virtual imprisonment.
We would be cows in a field, each one with his mark, and would be no
place to escape.

Cryptography tools in a free knowledge world works only for:
1 - guarantee identity
2 - keep anonymity

The funny thing is that these things contrapose.

Recently I've read a detailed paper about how China controls it's
Internet. Part of this system is not allowing any kind of anonymous
access. If you enter at a cyber cafe, you must show your identity card,
and everything you do will be logged and stay at the cyber cafe for at
least one month. All internet providers are from government and they
need id too.
If you are against the regime in China, of course you can try to use
stenography to communicate to the outside world, but it still easy to
get caught, because they can't read your message, but they can detect
cryptography messages related to your id, and this is enough to get you.

<my offtopic opinion, not european or american view, about terrorism and uk>
I'm very worried about using the word "terrorist". See, terrorists are
guys that attacks "civilian" targets. I think it is complicated to talk
about this when a country is in war with another. Should they, when
seeing all your aircraft and guns, just say: "ok, we will fight using
your rules."???
War is wrong, but it is a fallacy saying that there is any ethic in a
way to practice war. UK should have learned this in usa independence
war, that it lost because of some guerrila techniques.
I really doubt UK would have any "terrorism" if it dont entered in
iraque's war. When usa and uk shoot people in streets in iraque they are
considered "war casualties". Saddam is not there anymore, why are they
still there? Fucking oil.
uk is just paying the price of the oil, fear.
"civilians" are citizens, and responsible for each government act.
They've ellected their politician, so they would naturally suffer from
their decision.
</my offtopic opinion, not european or american view, about terrorism
and uk>

Sorry for exposing my opinion here, this is really offtopic to the list,
but since it is a european list, I think you would like to know how we
are seeying these things here. Anyway, we have more things to worry
here, there are more deaths here because of street violence that in
iraque's war...

[]s, gandhi

Simon Morris wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 11:11 +0100, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
>

>>Not true. If you had a key recovery mechanism, you could quickly
>>recovery the key and encrypted information, thus potentially saving
>>lives. Look at the situation today, the police suspect another attack
>>with innocent people killed is imminent, oughtn't there be a mechanism
>>to prevent this needless death?
>>

>To me that last statement smacks of "think of the children".
>
>Yes - we should be taking action against terrorists and preventing
>needless deaths - how would key escrow help here?
>
>Giving away our freedoms isn't necessarily going to help law enforcement
>intercept communications. Other mechanisms exists to pass information
>around and plan criminal activities - stenography for example.
>
>To be honest one of the reasons that we managed to decrypt the Enigma
>machine 60 years ago was because we captured a device and the German
>operators were too confident in it's abilities. What if the terrorist
>had a similar "low tech" method?
>
>If I send a letter through the post I'm fairly sure it isn't read by law
>enforcement officials... there are many different ways to communicate
>and if the government start pushing for escrow here I'd be a bit
>suspicious
>
>~sm

Ricardo Andere de Mello
Presidente do Quilombo Digital