why free?

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Mon Jul 18 22:25:54 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 00:11 +0200, David GLAUDE wrote:
> Let's say that I will be more dangerous having access to the code and
> beeing able to recompile after changing the power adjust function than
> changing random bytes with an hexadecimal editor into the HAL binary file.
>
> It does not make security by obscurity less false or fake, but it is
> obvious that if I poke into a binary there are less chances that I will
> optain the expected goal (especially if the binary is CRC protected
> against peaple like me. ;-)

Proprietary software cracks exist since a lot of time, so your claims
that tinkering with an hex editor has less chances are not supported by
facts. Do you think that bypassing hardware keys is esier than a
software CRC check ?

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Garofalo, 39 - 20133 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2953 4143 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399