why free?

David GLAUDE dglaude at ael.be
Mon Jul 18 21:32:57 UTC 2005

There is a well known and controversial case in the 802.11a/g area.

One vendor do distribute a linux driver wich is partially closed source.
He provide a binary only Hardware Abstraction Layer code. The API of the
HAL was not design specificaly for Linux kernel but is the same for the
*BSD driver.

Discussion wether or not binary (or partially binary) driver are
acceptable within the Linux kernel or respecting the GPL is not the point.

The point is in the argument for not making a fully GPL driver. The
vendor claime that this would be dangerous as the hardware does not
limit the frequency and power acceptable for the card transmission.
Those control that must be done to respect the 802.11a/g are done in
software in the HAL piece.

If some peaple outside the company were to write their own version of
the HAL and that this version would not respect the standard, it would
have dangerous consequence such as disturbing military radar frequency.
This could be by mistake or intentionnal. Also boosting the power of
your 802.11 card will be very unfair for your neighborg and if everybody
does like you it will make the system useless.

Is this a place where the potential harm of free software is more
dangerous than the good it make.

David GLAUDE

PS: Just to make sure, I am all for the right to thinker with the
hardware you aquire and I am all against binary driver in Linux
kernel... however I repeat here the argument of that vendor FAW (from
memory as I did not find the link or remember the name of that vendor
but his name is not relevant).