Feedback on free software licence requested

Tristan Miller psychonaut at nothingisreal.com
Tue Jan 25 15:35:38 UTC 2005

Greetings.

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 16:04, Michael Kjorling wrote:
> On 2005-01-25 15:27 +0100, psychonaut at nothingisreal.com wrote:
> > Gnomovision is released under the GNU General Public License, with the
> > additional proviso that for any modifications to the source code which
> > you publish, you agree to grant Vice, Inc. a perpetual, world-wide,
> > royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify,
> > display, perform, sublicence, and distribute said modifications (or
> > portions thereof) either on an unmodified basis, or with other
> > modifications, as source code or binary code or as part of a larger
> > work.
>
> IANAL & Co, but isn't this essentially what the GPL already says?

No, the proviso grants a general licence for Vice, Inc. to use the
contributions as it sees fit, whereas the GPL grants Vice, Inc. a
restricted licence which allows it to republish the contributions only if
the source code is made available.

In essence I'm trying to come up with a simpler version of the Netscape
Public Licence without having to rewrite it.

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited