IBM patents : good or evil ?

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Tue Jan 11 09:15:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 09:43 +0100, Jerome Alet wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the light of the recent BIG event of IBM patents being
> made available to free software developpers, I'm wondering :
>
>         - couldn't this be used by the pro-patent lobby to
>           make software patents become a reality in Europe ?
>
> any comment ?

I see it the opposite way, anti-patent lobby can easily say: see IBM the
most important patent owner and early patent adopter in the information
science world has recognized that patents are effectively a threat to
one of the most important way of producing software today, and because
of that they released them to FS producers.

But ultimately I think that anybody can twist the meaning unless IBM
explicitly tell the political reason that made them do the move.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Garofalo, 39 - 20133 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2953 4143 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399