swpat to be council A point *again*?

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Feb 8 11:13:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 10:12 +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> In both question and answer, it mentions that the
> Luxembourg presidency will propose it as an A point (= no
> discussion) yet again next week. Should we do anything?

There is going to be a demonstration in Brussels on the 17th related to
this, you might like to attend. The current story:

http://www.handelsblatt.com/pshb/fn/relhbi/sfn/buildhbi/cn/GoArt!
200104,204016,856237/SH/0/depot/0/

... seems to be that it will go to the meeting on the 17th (economical &
financial affairs).

Frankly, I almost hope they pass it as an a-item - that will piss off
the MEPs something rotten, and do the pro-swpat campaign no good
whatsoever. I also don't think it will stop the process being restarted
- for the Commission to undermine the Parliament in that way, they would
need some serious brass balls.

> I'm a bit confused. Next AgFish looks like 28 Feb (it's
> another terrible web site). Is it being shoved elsewhere?

It could go in front of any meeting; the type doesn't matter. If it's an
A-item, there is no discussion or vote, it can pass at any Council
meeting. Swpat isn't tied to the Agriculture & Fisheries meetings.

Cheers,

Alex.