Mobile Phone using Free Software??

Alexander Finkenberger af at fsfe.org
Mon Dec 19 12:03:59 UTC 2005

Henrik Sandklef wrote:
>  I was offered a telephone (for free) the other day (when renewing my
> "account"). I saw that it had some DRM aware software in it, so I said
> no. I am now looking for a free (as in GPL) mobile phone that I will
> buy/get instead, if there is any such phone.
>
>  Does anyone of you know if there is a mobile telephone with Free Software
> in it? ..... which will work in EU.

I've never seen a mobile phone running Linux myself.

Following his blog, I found that Harald Welte is experimenting with a
Motorola A780 smartphone [1].
Harald will give a talk about Free Software GSM phones on 22c3 in Berlin
[2].

Regards,
Alex

[1] http://ganesha.gnumonks.org/~laforge/weblog/linux/a780/