Intellectual property in the UK

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Mon Dec 5 13:00:41 UTC 2005

Controversial Subject: to get stuff going :o)

Two things:

## Minor APIG inquiry.

APIG is a group of our members of Parliament who take an interest in all
things "Internet", which includes DRM (I don't know why :). They're
currently making enquiries about problems with DRM; see:

http://www.apig.org.uk/current-activities/inquiry-into-digital-rights-management.html

It's a pretty narrow enquiry, and not really questioning the basic
motivations behind the use of DRM. I've started a response, I would
appreciate comments:

	http://www.alcoholicsunanimous.com/chod/apig.xhtml

This isn't AFFS endorsed, but I'm hoping that it will be. There are a
variety of problems with this initial version I know all too well, and
the end version needs to be much improved (and much shorter...). What I
really need, though, are real examples (e.g., the Sony rootkit) of DRM
damaging user's freedoms under the headings I've listed (since these are
the topics the MPs will address). Hopefully, if we do well with this
limited document response (we're restricted to 1000 words, and I've
already blown 2000... :o/ ) we'll get asked to give an oral
presentation, which is the real chance to make an impact.

## Major Government study

Our Chancellor has announced a large, 12-month study into intellectual
property (i.e., all the various laws such as copyright, patents, etc.):

	http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/gowers

This is very new, and hasn't started yet, so there is little we can plan
right now, but we can certainly prepare. The UK Govt. has a real
(usually negative) effect on EU policy, so I think we'd welcome all the
help from our European friends we can get with this.

Cheers,

Alex.