French Government Lobbied to Ban Free Software

Giuseppe De Francesco pino at defrancesco.info
Fri Dec 2 10:28:26 UTC 2005

Just a legal comment:

   1. The main cloaking scheme used in the bill is "preserve the Authors'
Rights";
   2. They assume that a "Free Software" IS an "Open Source Software";
   3. They assume that if the Source is disclosed, any malicious person is
able to modify the source to avoid any Authors' Rights protection.

Now, assuming that to make the code modifications the "malicious person"
has to be:

   1. able to read and well understand the software;
   2. able to make the modifications in the code avoiding any damage to the
application.

Now, in this situation the "malicious person" is somebody who is already
able to write any software to break the Authors' Rights, so the next
obvious step will be a Bill to establish a Security Clearance Certificate
to be obtained in such way to be authorized to buy a compiler and,
obviously, to get formed as Computer Programmer. Just crazy, but you
know... business is business... they'll try whatever to avoid the knowledge
sharing, so we have to be really careful and never ever underestimate any
jeopardy.

Cheers
Pino