French Government Lobbied to Ban Free Software

miluz miluz at free.fr
Thu Dec 1 01:10:55 UTC 2005

Jerome Dominguez a écrit :

>On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 09:19:41AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
>

>>On 30-Nov-2005, Jerome Dominguez wrote:
>>

>>>SNEP and SCPP tell Free Software authors: "You shall change your
>>>licenses." SACEM add: "You shall stop publishing free software," and
>>>warn they are ready "to sue free software authors who will keep on
>>>publishing source code" should the "VU/SACEM/BSA/FA Contents
>>>Department"[1] bill pass in the Parliament.

>>What action can be taken by French citizens? By other people? How soon
>>must action be taken?
>>

>I'm afraid that only French citizens can do something. The EUCD.INFO initiative proposes some actions : http://www.eucd.info/agir
>
>The EUCD.INFO initiative was launched by FSF France.

It seems that we are the guinea pigs of the new european laws. In this
case, DADVSI is quite like IPRED2: Mme Fourtou, rapporteur of the
Framework Decision to the JURI meeting, is the wife of Vivendi
Universal's CEO (author of the amendement Vivendi Universal/SACEM/BSA in
the french Parliament). Everybody's concerned.

Since her Framework Decision was rejected by JURI "on the basis of the
Court's judgment of 13 September 2005 (Case C‑176/03 Commission v
Council) where the Court clarifies the distribution of powers between
the first and third pillars as regards provisions of criminal law",
IPRED2 could be voted in a "trilogs" procedure with only one reading by
the EU Parliament (otherwise, we have 2 two chances instead of 3 in the
co-decision process).

The Commission will present another proposal for a Directive by end of
January 2006. We have just a little more time to act.

M.