Free Music License?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Aug 25 07:30:41 UTC 2005

"Alfred M\. Szmidt" <ams at gnu.org> wrote:
>    The real problem is misattribution and invariant sections are a
>    very blunt tool for attacking that. If I want to misattribute
>    something to you, I don't need to use your expressions. I can
>    just plain make stuff up (as people often do to me) and
>    attribute it to you and your copyright licence won't matter.
>
> Then those people are liable for defamnation.  They are not if I
> change what you wrote and gave explicit permission to do so.

If and only if you gave permission to attribute incorrect
statements to you, surely? In general, copyright and reputation
are two mostly independent things and rightly so.

>    Using a copyright licence for this only hurts friendly people who
>    like your work and want to re-use it. Bad people who want to make
>    you look bad will still make you look bad.
>
> The GFDL doesn't hurt anyone who is friendly, only those who are unfriendly.

For example, I consider having to print the adverts ("invariant
sections") with a subset of the work painful, to the needlessly
wasted trees as well as me. Generally too much pain, like using
BSD with the obnoxious ad clause code, but worse.

[...]
> You obvioulsy don't get the difference between non-functional and
> functional works, please try and figure out why they are different
> before continuting with these comparisons.

You obviously don't get that your distinction is entirely arbitrary.