Music for free software

Andres K. Foerster list at AKFoerster.de
Tue Aug 23 07:05:30 UTC 2005

Hello,

I've seen you dicussing about licensing music.

So I want to raise a new topic. Are there musicians on this list?
How about making music to advertise free software? There are already
a few examples, but only few.

If you need inspiration have a look there:
http://gnu.mirror.xaranet.de/fun/humor.html#Music

Well, the songs of the OpenBSD project do not always reflect the opinions
of the FSF, the latest is even oposed to the FSF. But still I think they
are good examples for free software advertising songs:
http://openbsd.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/lyrics.html

Of course songs for free software should also be freely available.
The song "Follow the GNU" by Void Main would be a good example, if it
only was freely available. The band wanted to make it free, but they
were bound by their contract.

That's another big obstacle. As far as I know, musicians who have a
contract with the GEMA cannot make free music anymore. I think a
contract with the GEMA eeven covers songs written before the signing.

--
AKFoerster