Free Music License?

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at vrijschrift.org
Wed Aug 17 12:08:02 UTC 2005

At Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:30:23 +0100,
MJ Ray wrote:

> "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams at gnu.org> wrote:
> > The is the same problem that Debian faces, labeling everything as
> > `free software', and then excluding everything that doesn't fall into
> > that category (like free doucmnetation, free music, etc).
>
> The problem debian faces is that software which is not free software
> sometimes gets included in the distribution. It's not a new problem.
> Even if terms such as "free documentation" can be defined in a sane
> way, debian doesn't currently use them.

I think that if you were to create a sane definition of free
documentation, you would get very close to the definition of free
software or the DFSG. And the GFDL wouldn't pass such a test either.

For me, one required freedom is to modify the whole document as I see
fit. The GFDL currently fails to grant that freedom.

Jeroen Dekkers