Free Music License?

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Mon Aug 15 18:33:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 07:21:42PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:

> There may be other copyrights not addressed by the GPL which are
> interesting for some software. I'm not that familiar with them
> and no-one in this thread has yet given useful references (the
> aforementioned volumes of legislation are, er, voluminous). I'm
> interested in the claim that CC doesn't address them either:
> if that's true, what are projects like Free Culture and Remix
> doing about performances?

They are not "copyrights", they are "neighbouring rights" (they
do not, per se, impact on the right to authorize or deny copying).

I'm not sure what you want to know about these rights - could you
please be more specific?

The texts I referenced are in my opinion quite useful.  They are
very short (you can read both treaties in two hours, I think).  Of
course, you are supposed to know a bit about law, and copyright law
specifically, but any reference I could give needs that anyway.

I don't know precisely what Free Culture and Remix are doing with
regards to performances, any link or explanation would be good (I
know both projects by name, so feel free to skip any description :).

> I may also be attending FAVE/3avc this weekend in Bristol,
> where we might find people who know more. Anyone got a good
> list of questions I could take?  http://www.fave.org.uk/

I was planning to come, since I will be in London in those days.
But honestly, it strongly depends on my mood at that time, because
these days are supposed to be my vacation, and I really don't need
discussing about copyright and licenses (even though I love doing
it :).

Ciao, andrea