Free Music License?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Aug 16 09:24:31 UTC 2005

"Alfred M\. Szmidt" <ams at gnu.org> wrote:
> Sorry, you are wrong.  Software and programs are equivialent; and
> software is not music, documentation or whatever.  Atleast in the
> world of computing science.

The word "software" was first used in print in January 1958
in American Mathematical Monthly by John W Tukey as a sort-of
opposite to "hardware" (the machine parts) for the situation when
"stored program" did not cover all the things held in memory
being described. It was used *because* it is not equivalent
to programs. At least in the world of mathematics.

If you define software and programs as equivalent, then you lose
detail and must start claiming that data can never be software!

>    [...] The author of a verbatim-copy opinion piece is cutting their
>    own nose off to spite their face, too: if I need to adapt an idea
>    to my audience and I can't adapt their expression, then I don't use
>    their expression and I'll probably only cite the primary sources.
>
> You can use their expression, aslong as you don't change it.  You can
> also quote pieces (fair use).

The situation given was I need to adapt the idea to the audience, so using
their expression unchanged is not useful. I could quote it, but why?

--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/