Free Music License?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Aug 15 10:14:07 UTC 2005

Hi Jeroen,

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 12:24:51PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> License proliferation is bad.
> Other than that, the GNU project hasn't anything to do with music.

true, though Stallman has made some statements about copyright and music
in the past which I believe were substantial contributions to the debate.

> The FSF can't even write a decent documentation license,
> so a music license would probably be even worse than that.

I disagree with you, the GNU FDL is a very decent documentation license.
It touches some points that others would not have thought about before.

However it is not the last word on what freedom a documentation needs
and how to archive this. Many have expected more, but for the focus
of transporting technical instructions in books, the GNU FDL is among
the best license I know, because clearly aimed at more freedom for society.

	Bernhard