Free Music License?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Aug 15 10:04:22 UTC 2005

Hi Roland,

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 08:03:58AM +0200, Roland Häder wrote:
> What abount a license which gurantees that also the music made for a
> software project - GNU GPL'ed or compatible, of course -is *free*?

for practical purposes I would put sound effects
and musical scores under GNU GPL if they are closely tight to a software
under GNU GPL.

> I mean, we already a license for software (GNU GPL) and also for
> documentation (FDL) but no license for music (FML = Free Music
> License?). But you cannot compare music with software nor
> documentation. Music is different to them.

There have been a few initiatives.

E.g. the CD done by Linuxtag e.V. in 2001:
http://openmusic.linuxtag.org/modules/freecontent/content/openmusic/
it uses Green and Yellow OpenMusic Licenses.
I do not remember all the details.

There are more, it would be interesting to first make a survey about
the licenses already used. Then we would need to find answer to the
question: What freedom does music need and why?

	Bernhard