Official Firefox binaries non-free

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at vrijschrift.org
Mon Apr 4 21:41:28 UTC 2005

At Mon, 4 Apr 2005 22:44:15 +0200,
Thomas Linden wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 07:21:17PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > It seems that Firefox binaries are covered by an end user license
> > agreement that might even not allow redistribution
> > and they contain proprietary code for error reporting: Talkback.
>
> They are free to use any license they want. Who cares?!

I do. I care about my freedom.

> > Tell people about Firefox's problems to
> > help pressuring binary producers to not create such problems
> > and learn to pay attention.
>
> Is this the role of the FSF? To pressure people?

Yes it is one the things the FSF should do.

> I don't see any problems with firefox at all.

I do see a problem. Namely that my freedom is taken away when I
download and use the firefox binary. Even worse, my privacy might also
be taken away, since Talkback error reporting tool might send any
information without me knowing it.

> And it is not the FSF to decide which license is right and which is
> not.

The FSF can tell them and the world what they think.

> Freedom also means to let people decide themselfes how they want to do
> things, not to tell them how they shall do it.

Freedom also means that you can tell and explain your opinion to other
people.

> You have to learn a lot.

Who doesn't?

Jeroen Dekkers