Official Firefox binaries non-free

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Apr 4 17:21:17 UTC 2005

Because I almost missed that information myself:

http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=353

RMS: I had better correct a common confusion. The Firefox binaries
distributed by the Mozilla developers, like all their binaries, are
not free. To use Firefox as free software, you have to build it
yourself from the source code. We're talking with the Mozilla
project about cooperating to change this, but in the mean time,
we're looking for people who would like to build and release free
binaries that we can recommend.

It seems that Firefox binaries are covered by an end user license
agreement that might even not allow redistribution
and they contain proprietary code for error reporting: Talkback.
I do assume that Debian's binary packets will be okay.

what can we do:
Tell people about Firefox's problems to
help pressuring binary producers to not create such problems
and learn to pay attention.

	Bernhard