Security and Free Software

Andres K. Foerster list at akfoerster.de
Tue Sep 21 10:20:25 UTC 2004

Am Montag, dem 20. Sep 2004 schrieb Werner Koch:

> > And what OS would you suggest for security?
>
> The question is broader than the simple question what OS is more
> secure (or what editor is better).  It's about whether the freedoms
> granted by FS helps developinng and maintaing software in a way that
> it provides better security to the user.

OpenBSD actually IS free software. And it's mainly targeted for security.

But I was really surprised, when I read the recent interview with Theo de
Raadt (founder of OpenBSD). He comes to the conclusion:
"The source code doesn't make a difference.  You can get the source code
for anything today and an attacker can find vulnerabilities.  The fact
of the matter is, there is no more closed source there is just limited
open source."

The whole article can be found here:
http://www.computerworld.com.au/nindex.php/id;1498222899;fp;16;fpid;0

How do you think about this interview?