Commercial use of font with GPL licence

NSK nsk2 at wikinerds.org
Wed Oct 27 23:49:24 UTC 2004

On Thursday 28 October 2004 01:06, Lars wrote:
> So I wonder if LGPL is necessary here

I'm not sure about "linking" as applied to fonts.

Perhaps they want to include the font in their proprietary source code.

But I have an idea. This is what I would do, personally: I would sell them the
rights to use the font as they liked for a good price. Then, I would donate
that money to an organisation or use it for further development of GPL or
OpenSource code.

Except if the font is really very important. In such a case I would consider
forcing everyone to use it only under the license of my choice (for example
GPL) in order to make that license more powerful in the market. In my
opinion, the more GPL-only software there is out there, the most powerful GPL
is.

(IANAL)

--
NSK