Website Engine - Footer Note

Roland Häder r.haeder at will-hier-weg.de
Sat Oct 23 14:28:22 UTC 2004

> No, it's not fine.
>
> 1.  A legal entity (_juristische Person_) such as an
> individual, a company, a university or a publisher can hold a
> copyright, but I don't think a domain can.  Even if it could, I don't
> think it would be a good idea to make it the copyright holder,
> because its name is more likely to change than that of a person, etc.
>
> 2.  The clause "All Rights Reserved" violates both the letter
> and the spirit of the GPL.
>
> 3.  Years should be separated by commas, not dashes.
> A proper copyright notice looks like this:
> Copyright (C) 2003, 2004 John W. Smith
> It's best not to use the copyright symbol, because it may not be
> representable on all terminals.
>
> The text of the GPL includes instructions on how to use it for your
> software, including what notices you should put in your source files.
>
> Laurence Finston
> GNU 3DLDF maintainer
As the website http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html said I may use
this long text:

----- Snip: -----
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or any
later version.

Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307
USA
----- Snap: -----

But I just need a small footer note for my website's engine and not a
text in "a real" program (like you can compile with GNU C Compiler). So
I use this text instead:

----- Snip: -----
1. Line:  Foobar v1.2.3 Copyright (c) 2003, 2004 by Roland Häder

2. Line: This website's engine is free software which is released under
the GNU GPL either version 2 of the License.

This is much shorter and will not take so much important space and
traffic. Or shall my visitor see just 30% of my website's text and the
last 70% is for the (c) note?

Hmmmm, interesting thing to discuss. :-)

Regards,
  Roland Haeder