Towards a "World Intellectual Wealth Organisation"

press at fsfeurope.org press at fsfeurope.org
Thu Oct 14 08:41:08 UTC 2004

http://fsfeurope.org/documents/wiwo.en.html

Towards a

                  "World Intellectual Wealth Organisation"

Supporting the Geneva Declaration

  The Geneva Declaration [1] is an impressive step towards the creation of
  a broad coalition of people, organisations and countries [2] demanding
  that the international community re-think the goals and mechanisms for
  awarding monopoly control over different kinds of knowledge. It offers
  many constructive, concrete suggestions for changes in WIPO goals,
  policies and priorities, and provides ample and insightful arguments for
  redesign of the copyright and patent bargains to better serve the public
  interest of all of humankind.

  We are convinced that new answers sometimes require new questions, not
  more careful repetition of old questions. A World Intellectual Property
  Organisation will always, understandably, lean towards applying the
  pre-selected tool-set of monopolisation that it refers to as
  Intellectual Property; a term that we find to be ideologically charged
  and dangerously oblivious to the significant differences that exist
  between the many areas of law that it tries to subsume.

  While it may look at better, possibly more socially sustainable ways of
  granting ownership-like monopolies over different forms of knowledge,
  WIPO will not have an easy time looking for alternative solutions. WIPO
  is not what we need.

  We need a World Intellectual Wealth Organisation, dedicated to the
  research and promotion of novel and imaginative ways to encourage the
  production and dissemination of knowledge. Granting limited monopolies
  and limited control over some kinds of knowledge may be part of this new
  organisations tool-set, but not the only one, and maybe not even the
  most important one.

  We endorse and support the Geneva Declaration, and invite its drafters,
  signatories, and the United Nations to start thinking now not only about
  what the role of WIPO should be, but rather what kind of organisation we
  need in its place.