Obtaining interface documentation without restrictions

James Davis jamesd at jml.net
Tue May 25 18:37:05 UTC 2004

I've recently bought myself a Nikon D70 digital camera which supports
the PTP (ISO 15740) protocol for transferring images from the camera and
controlling the hardware. Although basic functionality (transferring
images for  example) is available through tools such as libptp,gphoto2
and gtkam, the more advanced features are as yet, not supported in Free
software.

Essentially PTP allows the user to read, and set a number of properties
on the camera. The properties are referenced by numerical values ( a
subset of which are common to all devices) and not by a descriptive label.

According to Nikon's customer support the documentation for this
properties is available gratis in the SDK for the D70 and not available
separately. The application form for the SDK requires the signing of an
NDA which would prevent me from contributing any patches back to
gphoto2/gtkam. The SDK contains, besides the documentation, binary
libraries which I presume is essentially a PTP client customized for
this camera. I'm not particularly concerned by a NDA covering the
binaries as I have no absolutely no interest in looking at them or using
them but I'd really like use the PTP interface fully in Free software.

I could reverse engineer the PTP properties and it wouldn't be too
difficult but I'd rather not have to. Has anyone on the list got any
recommendations or experience with approaching hardware manufacturers
with requests of this type?

Regards,

James