Strategy (was Re: Improving copyright)

Benoît Sibaud bsibaud at april.org
Sat May 15 20:18:21 UTC 2004

> I would argue it's not a Linux binary - I know that's slicing words.
> Ok clarified version: "A Linux binary from 1996 of a similar
> complexity to typical binaries running on Windows at the same period
> stands *zero* *chance* of running unmodified on the latest Linux
> without some form of library emulation package". Quite a mouthful,
> which is why I didn't write it first time.

http://sunsite.rediris.es/sites2/ibiblio.org/linux/devel/debuggers/ddd/ddd-static-2.0-1.i386.rpm
It was at least available in 1996/10 (cf
http://oldwww.losurs.org/docs/rhlibrary/cola/volume96/Oct/961007.11)

$ usr/bin/ddd-2.0-i586-unknown-linux-static

I got a nice X Window with:

DDD 2.0 (i586-unknown-linux), by Dorothea Lütkehaus and Andreas Zeller.
Copyright © 1995, 1996 Technische Universität Braunschweig, Germany.
(gdb)

Free software 2 - Stats 0
and ddd is probably more complex than a typical 1996 Windows binary }:-]

--
Benoît Sibaud
Same player shoots again.