Copyright T-Shirt

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Thu May 13 15:56:41 UTC 2004

A Qua, 2004-05-12 às 17:37, Kevin Boergens escreveu:
> Tell me a way to enforce copyright. We're talking about >1000000000
> humans (not sure how many people have access to a PC)

Legalise non-commercial distribution. Remove tools prohibitions. Make
all the sentences pecuniary based on income of the infringer. Legalise
communication related temporary copies.

And then ask for people's help. Putting copyright closer to what normal
people think it is is the only way to get it enforced. Not by increasing
penalties to artificial levels and scaring people around.

> I'm not sure, but I think that a law, which can't be enforced shouldn't
> be imposed.

It's not that easy. No law can be enforced on the strict meaning (you
can't undo a murder, neither arrest someone for a murder he/she hasn't
committed yet).

So the only thing possible is to make sure that law represents a deal
that people recognise as theirs. I've learned that as "law follows
social practice". In the last 20 years we've lost that with copyright. I
hope I can help set that back in the next 10 years.

--
						João Miguel Neves