Copyright T-Shirt

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Wed May 12 15:19:13 UTC 2004

A Ter, 2004-05-11 às 20:01, Niall Douglas escreveu:
> What about a system whereby all zero-copy cost human output is
> recompensed via general taxation? I include books, music, video (all
> television), software, blueprints, designs etc.

I've never seen such a system work. They're always pieces of art that
are ignored by such systems and it usually puts to much power in the
hands of those deciding what is a work under copyrgiht.

> Everyone puts their work on some high capacity central servers which
> are available to all citizens who create an account on the servers.
> Each copy downloaded increments a counter for the thing downloaded.

Technically impossible to do. This conclusion is a result of my work
with the National Library of Portugal. We don't have the resources to
manage that.

> 1% of income tax in all countries goes into a pot. After operating
> expenses, the pot is divided up based on the relative proportions of
> copies downloaded. The artists get recompensed fairly, people get
> their entertainment and there's a strong competitive element for
> producing the best quality of output. There are no entry barriers and
> it's highly efficient as it's virtually entirely automated.
>
> While people can pass around copies to each other freely, chances are
> you'd use the central servers as they're always there, fast to
> download from and it's simply more convenient. There may be problems
> with gangs orchestrating mass votes for crap products in order to get
> an illict share of the pie so some human oversight would be needed
> but I don't think it would be too bad (having each user register
> enables various statistics-based automatic red flagging).
>
> Best of all, such a system is vastly superior to any copyright based
> system for all involved. Of course it means dismantling of powerful
> existing corporate interests and a level of international cooperation
> never before seen globally, but after we emerge from the Bretton
> Woods system collapse the environment would be right. Certainly when
> it collapses corporate enterprise will simply cease to exist, being
> replaced by highly diverse cooperatives and SME's (eg; like in
> Argentina).
>
> I doubt free software as the FSF defines it will last the course. It
> depends too highly on there being a large body of affluent people
> with other sources of income. However, its cooperative mode of
> production is VERY interesting and strongly hints at how all future
> production shall be achieved especially in the non-hierarchical
> structure required by the likely post-collapse economy. After all if
> companies are never bigger than a few hundred people, the correct way
> to do large distributed projects is how free software currently does
> it.

My bank account disagrees with you when you say free software is not
sustainable, but who cares?

--
						João Miguel Neves