Copyright T-Shirt

Niall Douglas s_fsfeurope2 at nedprod.com
Tue May 11 19:01:54 UTC 2004

On 11 May 2004 at 18:09, João Miguel Neves wrote:

> Yes, I've thought about it and I haven't found anything better. If you
> got to any other conclusion, I'd love to hear about it.

What about a system whereby all zero-copy cost human output is
recompensed via general taxation? I include books, music, video (all
television), software, blueprints, designs etc.

Everyone puts their work on some high capacity central servers which
are available to all citizens who create an account on the servers.
Each copy downloaded increments a counter for the thing downloaded.

1% of income tax in all countries goes into a pot. After operating
expenses, the pot is divided up based on the relative proportions of
copies downloaded. The artists get recompensed fairly, people get
their entertainment and there's a strong competitive element for
producing the best quality of output. There are no entry barriers and
it's highly efficient as it's virtually entirely automated.

While people can pass around copies to each other freely, chances are
you'd use the central servers as they're always there, fast to
download from and it's simply more convenient. There may be problems
with gangs orchestrating mass votes for crap products in order to get
an illict share of the pie so some human oversight would be needed
but I don't think it would be too bad (having each user register
enables various statistics-based automatic red flagging).

Best of all, such a system is vastly superior to any copyright based
system for all involved. Of course it means dismantling of powerful
existing corporate interests and a level of international cooperation
never before seen globally, but after we emerge from the Bretton
Woods system collapse the environment would be right. Certainly when
it collapses corporate enterprise will simply cease to exist, being
replaced by highly diverse cooperatives and SME's (eg; like in
Argentina).

I doubt free software as the FSF defines it will last the course. It
depends too highly on there being a large body of affluent people
with other sources of income. However, its cooperative mode of
production is VERY interesting and strongly hints at how all future
production shall be achieved especially in the non-hierarchical
structure required by the likely post-collapse economy. After all if
companies are never bigger than a few hundred people, the correct way
to do large distributed projects is how free software currently does
it.

Cheers,
Niall