NT: free software and money

Chris chris at slugbug.org.uk
Wed Mar 31 19:33:10 UTC 2004

Hi

On Wed 31-Mar-2004 at 06:10:33PM +0200, Moritz Sinn wrote:

> > On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Moritz Sinn wrote:
>
> i know that we're going a bit OT here.. so just say
> something if you don't want to discuss it here.

I'll echo that, FSF doesn't stand for the Free Stuff
Foundation after all ;-)

> you cannot call free software communistic because free
> software is not a society. but i think free software has
> some communistic touch because it shows that you can
> produce without economic pressure, that you can grant
> real freedom and that you can produce without capital.
> it also shows that at least in this case it is even
> better to do it this way than the classical way to
> produce in the capitalistic market.
>
> free software shows that i can work in another way with
> even better results.

I think that the way free software is produced could
represent a new mode of production that can be initially
applied to the production of all things digital. Free
material stuff is a bit harder since the absence of
scarcity is harder to achieve with things.

Free software is not scarce, has loads of use value, next
to no exchange value and it's production as a whole
represents an incalculable amount of labour time -- it's
hard to think of many other things for which this is true.

This text is interesting on the subject of communism and
free software:

  Free Software and Market Relations

  http://www.oekonux.org/texts/marketrelations.html

Chris

--
http://wiki.slugbug.org.uk/
SlugBug - the Sheffield Linux Users Group and BSD Users Group