juridical Question on software and GPL

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Sat Mar 27 16:23:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 20:37, Moritz Sinn wrote:
> "You only pay for the service for installion, support and programming."
>
> service and support is ok but programming is not and cannot be. product
> of programming is the source code and source code is freely
> available due to the section of the gpl quoted above. its hard to take
> money for something which everyone can get for free.
>
> i'm not an expert either but that's how i interpret the gpl.

Sorry moritz, I think you're wrong.
Programming is just another service, wether the program license is then
set to be GPL or something else.

You pay me to make a program, I give it you back under the GPL.
That's perfectly fine.

And you as user, can ask me to make other modifications (and pay for my
customization work), or just go and pay another programmer to do the
same.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Garofalo, 39 - 20133 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2953 4143 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399