juridical Question on software and GPL

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Sat Mar 27 11:09:11 UTC 2004

A Sáb, 2004-03-27 às 01:00, Moritz Sinn escreveu:
> Frank Heckenbach <frank at g-n-u.de> writes:
> ok, what you can do is: ask money before publishing it or ask money for
> publishing it. but you'll always earn more money with proprietary
> software. and that's what i meant when i said you have to decide
> whether its about software or money. if money is the main goal of course
> closed source is more successfull. if its about the software, the art,
> the joy of programming what so ever.. free software is the better.
>
> i think we should be honest with that. free software is about the
> software and when it comes to business it has many disadvantages. that
> doesn't mean that we have to write closed software, it means that there
> is something wrong with business, because free software is better, which
> doesn't mean that closed software can also be very good out of the
> technical point of view.

Now you're missing completely the economical point of view of the
customer. You're telling me that there is a model where people would pay
less for the same software and that that model is worst than the other
because of that? The clients will understand the difference and that
will reduce the demand for proprietary software. At least that's what
I'm betting on.
--
						João Miguel Neves