Mario Monti rebuttal?

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Wed Mar 24 23:51:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 23:47 +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
> Second, they state "[If] any of this interface information [is
> Microsoft] intellectual property [..], Microsoft would be entitled to
> reasonable remuneration". So, MS' IP rights cannot stop them from
> publishing the document, we must renumerate them for their rights. Given
> the lack of rights in interfaces (in my opinion; see above :), I'm not
> sure the remuneration would amount to much.

Of course not. What they're forced to is to create a RAND licensing
scheme for their IP. This is unacceptable for competing Free Software.

> So, I don't really think it's a "pat on the back".

The _real_ competitor can't compete. So I disagree. Yes, I know you're
for Free Software, I just think you're not getting that SAMBA, for
instance, is impaired, specially in the case of software patents, which
we hope to be able to put down, but are not certain.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?