French GPL-compatible License

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Jul 13 09:56:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 10:22 +0100, Samuel Liddicott wrote:
> What if the employee doing the code was empoyed by the group and not
> one of the group companies?

It may depend on local country law, but I don't think this is possible.

> Does collaboration (say cvs) between developers at different companies
> of the same group count as distribution?

Probably so, but it would only grant the rights to who got the code. Not
to everybody.

> This is significant as cvs distributions are based on patches and
> diff's? If ed diff's are used it may be possible to collaborate
> without transmitting any of the original code; so this collaboration
> arbuably would not constitute a distribution; but its just a special
> form of the question: can I distribute a non-GPL patch script to a GPL
> product?

As long as the resulting product is GPL'ed... which would the non-GPL
patch rather pointless, I guess.

> If company A buys company B (on paper) and then after merging some
> computer systems immediatly sells company B would this count as a
> distribution?

I don't think it would make sense.

> Yeah, I am taking things to desperate limits, but desperate times may
> call for desperate measures; one day something like this may happen?

I saw nothing of desperate in there, unlike the tactics to promote the
DMCA and EUCD.

> I would like to know what "distribution" means.

I think you're raising a storm on a glass of water.

Rui