French GPL-compatible License

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Jul 12 09:15:34 UTC 2004

On 2004-07-12 04:32:08 +0100 Wouter Vanden hove
<wouter.vanden.hove at pandora.be> wrote:

> "France lends support to new open-source license
> CeCILL license, compatible with GNU GPL, aims to be better suited for
> French
> laws"
> What does FSFE-supporters think about this?

There are recent discussions on fsfe-france and debian-legal which may
interest you, starting at URLs
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fsfe-france/2004-07/msg00016.html
and http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/07/msg00067.html (from
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2004-6.html#cecill )

In general, this seems like a good thing. I have heard from
researchers that some are nervous in using a licence written for
foreign laws. I assume this is a bigger problem for using a US licence
in France, where differences in legal style seem greater than between
the US and UK.

That said, some key questions have been raised:
* Doesn't specify what GPL it means: Grombat Public Licence compatible
too?
* Apparently commits the Holder to keep the software available forever?
* Forces anyone the Holder sues to be represented in France:

Also contains mild anti-free-software "techies-only" propoganda in the
preamble, which I missed on first reading.

> Creative Commons has a strong-copyleft license (Share-Alike) which
> they are
> translating and adapting to local laws.

No CC licences are free software licences, or even
free-software-compatible, so I think we're off-topic there, much as I
wish it otherwise.

> Why doesn't FSFEurope adopt a same strategy?

Maybe you should cc team or office on just that narrow question, for
an official reply. I'm not sure who reads this list and how fully (fx:
prepares to be snowed on).

> Why would European government or public institutions release their
> own
> software under a GPL that is only partially valid in many european
> countries?

Mindshare, basically, or they might think the valid bits are
sufficient. Also, they may have a US entity that they can use to
publish it there first, which I think means the GPL would be as fine
as for FSF.

"Matthew Garrett is quite the good sort of fellow, despite what
my liver is sure to say about him in [...] 40 years" -- branden