Question regarding GPL

Wim De Smet fragmeat at yucom.be
Fri Feb 27 16:38:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:09:42 +0100 (MET)
"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams at kemisten.nu> wrote:
>     >     > I have improved a code that is public domain (it has no
>     >     > copyright). Is it possible to make my improved version
>     >     > GPL. Is it useful.
>     >
>     >    It is possible
>     >
>     > Only if one considers a work that lacks a copyright header
>     > something that is in the public domain, which I belive is not
>     > the case.
>
>    He claimed that it is public domain.
>
> He claimed that it was PD based on the lack of a copyright header,
> Alex Hudson noted that just because it lacks a copyright header
> doesn't mean that it is PD.

No, he did not. He claimed that "it has no copyright". That can mean a
number of things(including that the author renounced his copyright in
some way) and you are over-assuming.

greets,
Wim

--
Only two things are infinite: human stupidity and the universe, and
I'm not sure about the latter.