Free software in European social forum - London 2004

Chris chris at slugbug.org.uk
Thu Feb 12 14:44:40 UTC 2004

Hi

On Sun 08-Feb-2004 at 12:19:14PM +0100, julien wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:22:19AM +0100, julien
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I am in touch with the people whose organised the
> > > european social forum around november 2004 in
> > > London... and we would like them to work with people
> > > from the gnu/linux and FSF community for this event
> > > (registration, website, translation, media
> > > center...etc), I would like to ask you if there's
> > > some people in London ready to push the free
> > > software in this event,

I see you have found this already but others might not
know that there is a discussion about this on the
socialtools-help list:

  http://lists.socialtools.net/wws/info/socialtools-help

And basically the SWP / GLA want to spend 20-30 grand on a
'professional' web site -- I suspect this is so they can
have total control over it, more info here:

  http://lists.socialtools.net/wws/arc/socialtools-help/2004-02/msg00004.html

These people (SWP / GLA) do have much to fear -- they
don't like open non-hierarchical organisation or working
with people who might question their demands and they have
no understanding of Free software.

Onging news about the ESF in London in 2004 can be found
here:

  http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/actions/2004/esf/

Best of luck in getting these people to see the light, it
might be easier to just set up a 'non-official' EFS web
site that does use free software and allows participation
(open publishing, wikis etc...).

Chris

--
http://wiki.slugbug.org.uk/
SlugBug - the Sheffield Linux Users Group and BSD Users Group