which kind of Free Software business people like (and which not)

edA-qa mort-ora-y eda-qa at disemia.com
Wed Feb 4 17:46:44 UTC 2004

Lutz Horn wrote:
>>>I think this is the way business people think about
>>>Free Software: Take as much out of it as possible
>>>without giving anything back. Fight all Free Software
>>>that dangers your business.
> Let me clarify: business people who want to sell non free software think
> the way I described. They only contribute to the community as long as
> their business with non free software is not endangered.

While what you say, with this clarification seems certainly true (based
on my experiences as well), it seems that more businesses in the world
that use software are not in the business of selling software.

I would be even willing to wager that most software produced by
businesses is not intended to be sold, and is instead used only in house.

I think, as many of us our developers or closely related to developers,
that we get too narrow focused and start to believe commerical software
vendors are the cornerstonre of the software industry.  But as I
indicate, most companies that use software, and even a great deal that
produce software, would only benefit from using Free Software and giving
their software back as free.

--
edA-qa mort-ora-y
Idea Architect