Spotting GPL violations

Philip Webster phil at philipwebster.com
Sun Dec 12 12:03:07 UTC 2004

Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> At Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:07:19 +0000,
> Philip Webster wrote:
>
>>Jeroen Dekkers wrote:

>>>The question is whether this is really a derivative work. "An
>>>interface" doesn't really say anything, it can be a library interface
>>>or it could talk over some protocol using sockets.
>>
>>It appears to be a library interface.
>

> I can't really see enough out of the descriptions. The problem is that
> I don't know anything about GIMP-Print or RiscOS. I think the only way
> to be sure whether it's a GPL violation is to download the code and
> look at it.
I was under the impression that any code which links directly to a GPL'd
library is essentially using part of a GPL-licensed work in the form of
the method names it is calling, and as such by directly linking, becomes
in itself a 'derivative work' which must be GPL licensed in order to be
legally distributed.

Is that right? That's why the LGPL was created, wasn't it? So people
could use Free Software libraries, without having to take a full leap
into the Free Software community?

Phil