xtcommerce.com and his shop no. 3

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Fri Dec 10 09:43:21 UTC 2004

Kein Ende wrote:

>hi folks,
>
>before a few days i thought, that all software licenced under gnu/gpl is
>free.

Free has many meanings. I suggest you read at www.gnu.org "Free as in
Freedom".

Nothing in the GPL forbids charging for GPL software.

However, once one person (having paid) has received the software they
are granted the freedoms of the GPL which do permit that person to
further distribute the software without charge if they desire; and also
they are granted access to the source (according to the GPL) and which
they are required to make available if they distribute the binaries.

So, in short, if it really bothers you, go ahead and pay for support and
then release the source "for free."

I don't think this is desirable though, I think it is enough that those
who buy the product are kept free and not tied with vendor lock-in and
proprietaryness.

As a final point if the distributor is the total copyright holder or has
the co-operation of the copyright holders then they can take their own
work (of which earlier releases may have been GPL) and release that work
under a different license - this by virtue of owning the copyright - for
after all the GPL is merely a conditional grant of extra rights that the
copyright holders already possess without condition.

Sam