Ownership in Software

Axel Schulz axel at schulz.ph
Thu Apr 22 17:08:34 UTC 2004

Hej!

authorship != ownership, authors != owners

You consider it this way. Many people here consider it this way.
I do not. My justification is that only authorship in software is insufficient because of the dual nature of software (-> the ACM artilce I quoted).

So, for me  "authorship != ownership" is not true when it comes to software. Authorship is not made for software, but applied to software it becomes ownership. This is sufficient. Because than we do not nee patents and stuf like this. Copyrights protects software and everyone can choose which license her software shall have.

This guarantees the maximum of freedom for all, doesn't it?

Stallman talks about owners (-> have a look at my very first email). And he claims that software should not have owners. If you see my line of argument, you should also see why I claim that Stallman went to far.

Do you see my point?

best regards,
Axel