Ownership in Software

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Apr 22 10:22:54 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 11:54 +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > > I don't know. A project may have millions of lines of code and not
> > > very usefull at all.
> >
> > I'd really like to find out how many freshmeat projects are under the
> > GPL versus other licenses. That would answer this question once and
> > for all (esp. if they can weight them with activity).
>
> You've got lies, damned lies and statistics, and here they are:
> http://freshmeat.net/stats/#license
>
> 69% use the GPL, and a good second is the LGPL with 5.58%. The third,
> the original BSD license, has 3.85%.

And at sourceforge (which unfortunately also supports proprietary
software, and is a banner for some of it):
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=14

GNU GPL'ed projects are almost 36840 while the second most used, the GNU
Lesser GPL is at little more than 5619. The third best is BSD license
with somewhat more than 3704, bla bla bla.

These sites may not register _all_ projects, but they have larger
samples than most "credible" surveys I've seen.

Rui