Program output - Restricted under GPL?

Reinhard Müller reinhard at ffs.or.at
Thu Nov 13 08:33:01 UTC 2003

Hi,

Am Don, 2003-11-13 um 09.18 schrieb Fredrik Lundgren:
> I'm working for a company which going to develop two applications. But one
> application will be licensed under GPL and the other will not. Is it still
> possible to use output from the GPL'd application and read it with the other
> application without violating the GPL rules? The output is data from
> measurements of wireless networks.

I'd say yes. Much like you are allowed to write a text file in emacs and
then import it into <insert any proprietary program name here>.

One program reading the output of another program doesn't make the whole
a derived work. Not even, if they are connected via mechanisms like a
Unix style pipe.

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Müller