Creative Commons: GPL-Copyleft versus Share Alike

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Wed Mar 19 00:38:48 UTC 2003

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 07:01:05PM +0100, Wouter Vanden Hove wrote:
> Last Fosdem the FSF gave the Free Software Award to Larry Lessig for the
> advancement of Free Software.
> But what is the official stance of the FSF's on the Creative Commons
> Share-Alike License?

I mailed FSF when Creative Commons was announced, asking if they'd
publicly comment on it.

I got a reply saying that the goals were too different for them
to comment.  CC isn't for software.

Lessig is a good man, he's worked along side FSF in the past,
gave them $20,000 last year, and Stallman reads his work.

I reckon they'd give a project of his the thumbs up.

> Shouldn't the Creative Commons be urged by the FSF's to include the GPL
> as their preferred copyleft software-license?

I agree that they should have a note somewhere about it.

Maybe Lessig sees simplicity as a main aim in making the CC system work.
...or maybe you should send the CC guys a mail to suggest it.

Ciaran O'Riordan