my distribution scheme for GPLed software

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Mon Mar 17 10:31:49 UTC 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 03:52:12PM +0100, Simo Sorce wrote:

> I do not think that Trademark really collide with the GPL.
> If you permit redistribution of the "original" source under the same
> name and only ask politely to change name for modifyed packages.

OK.

Now that's what I've finally decided to do, and I've rephrased the
website and documentation to remove any pending GPL problem, AFAICT.

Also, I don't want to play the trademark game.

From now on, the "official" package is fully modifiable, even the
version number, under the terms of the GNU GPL. (It was already
fully redistributable)

I just ask (not impose) to rename modified "official" packages.

Also the "official" package will contain compiled (HTML, PS, PDF)
documentation, while the "unofficial" one, when obtained from CVS,
will just contain the documentation source (docbook). People who
redistribute the "unofficial" version are free to add compiled
documentation though.

Thanks to all who helped.

Jerome Alet