my distribution scheme for GPLed software

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Mar 4 15:50:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 04:35:01PM +0100, Andreas K. Foerster wrote:
> > "You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of
> > the rights granted herein."
> >
> > It sounds to me like a further restriction - that is the point I was making.
>
> The GPL deals with the software, not with names.

But it also deals with things that affect the software. I'm saying that
having naming constraints affects the distribution of the software.

> The name isn't put under the GPL.

Yes, I agree with that. I'm not arguing about who has control over the name,
I'm talking about the effect of that control on copying the software.

> The GNU people themselves make such restrictions for modifying the GPL.
> Have a look at this link:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL

Ah, but we already know the GPL is invariant, and not covered by itself :)
I think that's beside the point.

> > > Trademarks
> > > can never prevent you from copying a piece of software.
> >
> > RedHat disagree with you:
> > http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/guidelines/
>
> I've read it, but I didn't find, where they disagree.
> They allow copying the software under a different name.

>From http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html,

"A program is free software if users have all of these freedoms. Thus, you
should be free to redistribute copies, either with or without modifications,
either gratis or charging a fee for distribution, to anyone anywhere."

If I have to modify a work - no matter how much work that actually is - then
I say that violates freedom 2. I would then say that it isn't consistent
with the GPL.

> It would be a violation if removal wouldn't be possible.

Agreed. But I also think it's a "violation" if removal is forced. (I think
probably "would be inconsistent" is a better phrase, violation sounds
quite harsh).

> > Linux Emporium don't even seem to stock it at all now. That prevents
> > people copying free software.
>
> Huh? Isn't the same software also available on other distributions?

>From a quick scan they don't seem to stock it. Dunno :) Didn't look too hard!

> P.S.:
> The company doesn't want to be named. So don't give them any credit by
> calling their name so often. Just forget their name. ;-)

Agreed!!

Cheers,

Alex.