my distribution scheme for GPLed software

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Tue Mar 4 14:52:12 UTC 2003

I do not think that Trademark really collide with the GPL.
If you permit redistribution of the "original" source under the same
name and only ask politely to change name for modifyed packages.

However to avoid any possible problem I would say that you may issue a
Trademark on the Distribution, not the software itself.

Protecting the tarball name seem a really silly action to me, it would
make you impossible to easily upgrade distro's.

Instead getting a Register Mark on the name PyKota and a Trademark on
Pykota Official Distribution and pursuing the trademark on your boxes,
while giving to anyone the ability to name the software itself "PyKota"
or "PyKota whatever" would be a nice thing.

That way the software will suffer no problems while a whole distribution
(with printed manuals, software, medium, boxes, whatever) or simply an
"enriched" software package like the software + manuals + installation
tool would be under the name Pykota Official Distribution that you may
decide who have the ability to redistribute with that name.

Yes, that's exactly what RedHat does, but you do not have to be as
stringent as RedHat if you do not want to, but what matter, the software
will stay free.

I do not see this as a way to close down the software, the software will
be 100% free, but a way to give guarantees that the original author is
behind this distribution and have paid particular attention to it, or to
add value, like a real guarantee/assurance on software, installation
support services, whatever ...

Simo.