my distribution scheme for GPLed software

Paolo Gianrossi 1999s079 at educ.disi.unige.it
Tue Mar 4 13:17:41 UTC 2003

Alex Hudson writes:
 > On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 12:18:02PM +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
 > > I don't see any GPL violations but I don't think this experiment
 > > will work.
 >
 > Surely the restriction on naming is a "violation"? Although an author
 > cannot really violate the license on his own work :)

Well, i'm not a lawyer as well, but i think it's a meta-problem: you
wouldn't violate YOUR software license, but you would violate the GPL
itself: you want to use a "modified version" of the GPL, and this
modification is a violation.

The GPL comes under the GPL... The goal of it is to make it impossible to
limit liberties... What you do (on naming) is to change the license in
order to limit a liberty: the freedom to rename or to use the name. Thus, i
think this would be a meta-violation.

Just my .2$

cheers
paolino

--
... Observe Good Faith and Justice Toward All Nations, Cultivate Peace
and Harmony With All --George Washington's Farewell Address.
paolino at member.fsf.org
paolino at linux.it
linsky at wappi.com

Member of the GNU at DISI project.