Enquiry from an outsider

Frank Pennycook frankp at foe.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 14:19:54 UTC 2003

Hello to the FSF discussion list

I am enquiring whether any of you know of organisations or individuals who are lobbying the WTO (World Trade Organisation) in the interests of users
or authors of Free Software.

As you will know the WTO through its TRIPs agreement has legal power over intellectual property issues including those relating to software. For more
info see
http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/trips_e/trips_e.htm

My organisation, Friends of the Earth, is an international network which campaigns for environmentally and socially just solutions to global problems.
One of our major campaigns in recent years has been for an equitable world trade system, although we have not specifically worked on software-related
intellectual property injustice as yet.
http://www.foei.org/trade/index.html
http://www.tjm.org.uk

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Frank Pennycook
Policy and Research Unit
Friends of the Earth (England Wales and Northen Ireland)