[Patents] Fwd: [Free-sklyarov-uk] Finnish EUCD implementation postponed (fwd)

Bernard Lang Bernard.Lang at inria.fr
Fri Jan 31 16:42:19 UTC 2003

In France, 5 author organizations (including SACD, created in 1777 by
Beaumarchais) have published press releases against EUCD.

see the site http://eucd.info/  (in French)

We are conducting a strong action against it.

The big argument of EUCD promoters is that it would stop piracy over
the Internet  (cf. Napster and P2P)

This is bullshit ...
  all it takes to defeat technical protection is a program.  And
people will write such programs.
   And if they are unable to prevent the exchange of music, how can
they prevent the exchange of program intended to circumvent the
technical protections.

   And if they can do the latter, then they can do the former.

   Whatever the case, the law is useless to stop piracy, and it just
deprives citizens/consumers of their rights.

  It may even encourage piracy:

   What would you rather buy, even for the same price :

   - a legal damaged CD from a store, that you will not be able to copy.

   - or the same CD through an illegal channel, that you will be able
to play on any device (existing or future), and duplicate in case it
gets hurt.

Bernard

There is another site in UK:  http://eucd.org/

if you have other sites, with documents or arguments against EUCD, let
us know.