W3C Patent Policy Comments That Failed to Get Posted

Martigan lackyboy at libero.it
Wed Jan 1 08:25:13 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 01 January 2003 06:33, Seth Johnson wrote:

Sorry but I cut out the comments, because I know everyone on the list has
received them.  (If this is a bad practice on the list please let me know.)
I really appreciated these e-mails.  They helped bring a better understanding
of the damaging effects of this new policy and it reminds me of one this the
Napoleon said about keeping a constitution as vague as possible to make it
easier to adjust later.  I know those are not the exact words, please for
give me for not having the memorized, I only have the idea down.  Any such
generalization leaves a broad spectrum of interpretation, and this it self in
an Open or Free source comunity is bad.  From my few years of exposure to the
FSF I noticed that the rules and laws clearly state what cannot and what can
be done with the software.

I hope everyone has had a Happy New Year, and I hope it will bring good things
to the community.